In my 17 years of teaching, I’ve noticed that the biggest
hurdle for advanced English learners isn't big words—it's phrasal
verbs. Native speakers use them constantly in meetings. If you only use
formal verbs like "discuss" or "summarize," you might sound
a bit like a textbook.
Here are 12 phrasal verbs that will help you sound more
like a leader in your next meeting.
1. Kick off
Meaning: To start the meeting.
Example: "Let's kick off by reviewing last
week's sales figures."
2. Bring up
Meaning: To mention a topic or
introduce a point. Example: "I’d like to bring
up the issue of the budget for next quarter."
3. Go over
Meaning: To review or examine
something in detail. Example: "Could we go
over the main points of the contract one more time?"
4. Run through
Meaning: To quickly explain or
summarize something. Example: "Let me just run
through the agenda before we start."
5. Point out
Meaning: To draw attention to
a specific fact or detail. Example: "I want to
point out that we’ve actually exceeded our targets."
6. Follow up
Meaning: To check on something
or take further action after a meeting. Example:
"I will follow up with the client after our call today."
7. Wrap up
Meaning: To finish or conclude
a meeting. Example: "Let's wrap up by
assigning the next steps to each team member."
8. Come up with
Meaning: To suggest or think
of an idea or plan. Example: "We need to come
up with a new strategy for our social media."
9. Look into
Meaning: To investigate or
research something. Example: "I'll look into
the logistics costs and report back to you."
10. Call off
Meaning: To cancel something. Example: "The meeting was called off because the
manager was unwell."
11. Put off
Meaning: To postpone or delay
something. Example: "We decided to put off the
launch until we have more data."
12. Take over
Meaning: To assume control or
responsibility. Example: "Sarah will take over
the project while I am on vacation."
Teacher's Tip: Phrasal verbs can be tricky because their meaning changes based on the context. Start by picking two from this list and using them in your next email. Once you feel comfortable, try using them in a live call. For more tips on professional language, see my post on Business English Business English, Vocabulary, Phrasal Verbs

Comments
Post a Comment