Skip to main content

Business English: 20 Professional Phrases That Make You Sound Fluent at Work




Fluency at work isn't about knowing 20,000 words — it's about having the right phrases ready for the moments that matter: the meeting, the email, the client call. Below are twenty phrases I teach professionals worldwide, organized by the situation you'll actually face. Each one replaces a weaker alternative that non-native speakers tend to use.

 

Starting and leading meetings

 

1       "Let's kick things off." (replaces "I want to start...")

2       "The purpose of this meeting is..." — state it in one sentence.

3       "Let's move on to the next item on the agenda."

4       "I'd like to hand over to [name]." — the polite way to pass the floor.

5       "Let's wrap this up." — ending a meeting decisively.

 

Agreeing and disagreeing professionally

 

6       "I see your point, and I'd like to add..." — agree and build.

7       "That's a fair point, but have we considered..." — disagree without conflict.

8       "I respectfully disagree because..." — disagreement with authority.

9       "Let's agree to disagree and focus on the decision." — escaping stalemates.

10    "I'm on board with that." — casual-professional agreement.

 

Emails and written communication

 

11    "Following up on our conversation..." — the standard follow-up opener.

12    "Please find attached..." — the attachment line.

13    "I'd appreciate your feedback on this." — inviting input gracefully.

14    "Could you please confirm by [date]?" — deadlines with courtesy.

15    "Thank you in advance for your support." — the professional closer.

 

Handling uncertainty and problems

 

16    "Let me look into that and get back to you." — never guess; promise follow-up.

17    "We're currently working through a few details." — delays, framed positively.

18    "That's outside my scope, but I'll connect you with the right person." — saying no helpfully.

19    "Just to make sure we're on the same page..." — confirming understanding.

20    "Let's circle back on this next week." — the art of postponing politely.

 

How to practice them: choose five phrases per week, write two emails and one mock meeting script using them, and read both aloud until the rhythm feels natural. Within a month, the phrases move from memorized to automatic — and that's what fluency at work actually is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Professional Email Etiquette: 10 Rules for 2026

    In 2026, the way we communicate at work is faster than ever, but professional etiquette still matters. An email is often the first impression you make on a client or a hiring manager. If it’s messy or too casual, you lose credibility.   Here are the 10 essential rules for professional email etiquette today.   1. Use a Clear Subject Line Your subject line should tell the reader exactly what is inside. •         Bad: "Hi" or "Question" •         Good: "Meeting Request: Project X Update" or "Inquiry regarding IELTS Coaching"   2. Use a Professional Salutation Even if you know the person, start with a professional greeting. •         Formal: "Dear Mr. Smith," •         Neutral: "Hi [Name]," •         Avoid: "Hey guys" or "Yo" in a first interaction. ...

How to Describe Charts in IELTS Writing Task 1 (Vocabulary and Templates)

In IELTS Academic Writing Task 1, you have 20 minutes to describe a chart, graph, or table. Most students struggle not because they don't understand the data, but because they lack the specific vocabulary to describe trends accurately. After 17 years of teaching, I’ve distilled the "must-have" vocabulary and the structure that consistently earns Band 7+.   The 3-Part Structure for Task 1:   1        Introduction (1 sentence): Paraphrase the prompt. If the prompt says "The graph shows the number of people visiting Morocco," your introduction should say "The line graph illustrates the volume of tourists who traveled to Morocco between [Year] and [Year]." 2        Overview (2 sentences): This is the most important part. Identify the two most obvious trends. Do not use numbers here. Example: "Overall, the number of visitors increased significantly over the period, while the amount spent per visitor saw a sl...

The 7 Most Common Grammar Mistakes Arabic Speakers Make in English (and How to Fix Them)

If you speak Arabic and struggle with English, some of your mistakes aren't random — they're predictable. In seventeen years of teaching Arabic-speaking students, I've seen the same seven errors appear again and again, because they come from structural differences between the two languages. The good news: once you know what's coming, you can fix each one deliberately.   1. Dropping the verb "to be." Arabic allows "I happy" and "She at school" because the verb to be is often implied. English never does. Before any adjective or prepositional phrase, check for is/am/are/was/were. Fix: read your sentence aloud — if something feels "floating" without a verb, add it.   2. "I am agree" instead of "I agree." In Arabic, a state ("I am in agreement") is natural. In English, agree, disagree, understand, and know are verbs — no "am" allowed. Fix: memorize this list of state verbs that never ...