I took my IELTS test today, and I wanted to share my experience with anyone who is currently preparing for the exam. Hopefully, my feedback will help you feel more confident and less nervous on test day.
Speaking: Stay Calm and Keep Talking
First of all, try not to stress too much about the Speaking test. It was not as difficult as I expected. Of course, the experience can depend on the examiner, but the questions themselves were quite simple and familiar.
I was asked about my name, where I live, what I like most about my apartment, animals, whether I had ever visited a zoo, and the most famous animal in Algeria, among other similar questions.
For Part 2, try to speak for the full two minutes. The examiner will explain that you have two minutes to talk, so do not worry about going over the time. They will stop you when the two minutes are finished.
The most important thing is to remain calm and speak naturally. Do not overthink the questions. If you make a small mistake, simply continue speaking instead of stopping to correct every word.
Listening, Reading and Writing: Manage Your Time Carefully
The Listening, Reading and Writing tests are taken one after another without a break:
Listening → Reading → Writing
The remaining time is displayed during the test, so make sure you practise under timed conditions before the exam, especially if you usually work slowly.
Listening
I did not find the Listening recording extremely fast. It became slightly faster as the test progressed, but the difference was not huge. Overall, I would say that the test was neither very easy nor extremely difficult.
My main advice is to stay focused and move on if you miss an answer. Do not waste too much time thinking about one question, because you may miss the next one.
Reading
I do not have much to add about the Reading test. As with the other sections, practising within the actual time limit is probably the most useful preparation you can do.
Make sure you understand the different question types and develop a strategy for each one. If a question is taking too long, leave it temporarily and return to it later.
Writing: Start with the Task That Suits You Best
The Writing test consists of two tasks. Personally, I recommend starting with **Task 2** and then moving on to **Task 1**, because Task 2 is worth more marks and requires more time.
Task 2
The Task 2 question was an opinion and discussion essay about whether advertising is unnecessary. We had to discuss different views and give our own opinion.
For the structure, I followed the approach I had learned from IELTS Advantage. My advice is to use a structure that you have already practised rather than trying something completely new on test day. Familiarity can help you feel more confident and save valuable time.
Task 1
For Task 1, we were given a graph showing the percentages of sickness absence in several European countries.
The time was enough for me overall, although I did not manage to finish a very short concluding sentence at the end of my report. However, I had written the introduction, overview and main comparisons, which I believe are the most important parts of an Academic Task 1 response.
Try to prioritise the key features and comparisons instead of spending too much time describing every detail in the graph.
Overall Impression of the Test
Overall, the test was not easy, but it was also not as difficult as some of the IELTS practice tests I had completed on Engnovate. Therefore, if you have practised using those materials, do not worry too much.
Also, do not panic if you are unsure about the exact structure of the test. Before each section begins, there is a short video explaining how the test works and what you need to do.
My Biggest Advice for IELTS Candidates
The most important lessons I learned are simple: practise managing your time, understand your strategies, and stay calm when you face a difficult question.
If one question seems challenging, do not let it affect the rest of your test. Move on to the next question so that you do not waste valuable time. You can always return to it later if you have enough time.
■ Practise the timing, know your strategies, and do not allow difficult questions to make you panic.
Good luck to everyone preparing for IELTS. I hope you achieve the score you are aiming for!

Comments
Post a Comment