You have studied grammar for years. You know your tenses
and your prepositions. But then you watch a movie or talk to a native speaker,
and suddenly, you feel lost. Why? Because native speakers rarely speak like a
textbook.
To truly understand English in the real world, you need to
master "slang"—the informal language used in daily life. Here are 10
terms that will make you sound less like a student and more like a local.
1. "Bummer"
Meaning: A disappointment or a
shame. Example: "You can't come to the party?
That’s a total bummer."
2. "Bucks"
Meaning: Dollars (US) or money
in general. Example: "The coffee was five
bucks! That’s way too expensive."
3. "Ghosted"
Meaning: To suddenly stop all
communication with someone without explanation. Example:
"We had a great first date, but then he just ghosted me."
4. "Sick"
Meaning: (Slang) Very cool,
impressive, or great. Example: "Did you see
his new car? It’s absolutely sick."
5. "Low-key"
Meaning: Quietly, secretly, or
to a small extent. Example: "I’m low-key
excited about the new season of that show."
6. "Hang out"
Meaning: To spend time
relaxing with friends. Example: "Do you want
to hang out at the mall this weekend?"
7. "My bad"
Meaning: My mistake / I'm
sorry. Example: "I forgot to bring the book.
My bad!"
8. "Shady"
Meaning: Suspicious,
dishonest, or untrustworthy. Example: "That
website looks a bit shady. I wouldn't enter my credit card details there."
9. "Chill"
Meaning: To relax, or a person
who is very easy-going. Example: "Let’s just
stay home and chill tonight."
10. "Epic"
Meaning: Extremely impressive
or legendary. Example: "The concert last night
was absolutely epic."
A Word of Caution:
Slang is great for friends and casual settings, but be
careful! You should never use these terms in a formal environment. As I
explained in my post on Professional Email Etiquette, keeping it formal is key
when you are at work.

Comments
Post a Comment