Skip to main content

English for Remote Work: How to Communicate with US Teams

 




The world is flat, and in 2026, more professionals in Morocco and globally are working for US-based companies. But "Remote English" is different from "Office English." You need to be more concise, more proactive, and very clear about your progress.

 

After years of coaching remote teams, here are the three pillars of successful communication with US clients.

 

1. The "Check-in" Culture

US teams value transparency. Don't wait for your boss to ask for an update.

•        Proactive Phrase: "Just a quick heads-up: I've finished the draft and it's ready for your review."

•        Status Phrase: "I'm currently blocked on [Task] and need your input on [Issue] to move forward."

 

2. Virtual Meeting Etiquette

In a Zoom or Google Meet call, silence can be awkward. Use these "filler" phrases to show you are engaged:

•        "I'm with you on that." (I agree)

•        "Could you clarify what you mean by...?" (I need more detail)

•        "Let's circle back to that later." (Let's discuss it later)

 

3. Asynchronous Clarity (Slack/Email)

When working across time zones, your messages must be self-contained.

•        Bad: "Hey, can we talk?" (Waste of time)

•        Good: "Hi [Name], I have a question about the budget for Project X. Are you free for 5 minutes at 3 PM your time to discuss?"

 

Essential Remote Slang

•        Sync: A meeting or alignment (e.g., "Let's have a quick sync tomorrow.")

•        Bandwidth: Your capacity to take on more work (e.g., "I don't have the bandwidth for a new project this week.")

•        Touch base: To contact someone (e.g., "I'll touch base with you on Friday.")

 

The Bottom Line: Working remotely for a US team is a huge opportunity, but it requires a "Level 2" communication style. For more on professional writing, see my Email Etiquette guide.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Professional Email Etiquette: 10 Rules for 2026

    In 2026, the way we communicate at work is faster than ever, but professional etiquette still matters. An email is often the first impression you make on a client or a hiring manager. If it’s messy or too casual, you lose credibility.   Here are the 10 essential rules for professional email etiquette today.   1. Use a Clear Subject Line Your subject line should tell the reader exactly what is inside. •         Bad: "Hi" or "Question" •         Good: "Meeting Request: Project X Update" or "Inquiry regarding IELTS Coaching"   2. Use a Professional Salutation Even if you know the person, start with a professional greeting. •         Formal: "Dear Mr. Smith," •         Neutral: "Hi [Name]," •         Avoid: "Hey guys" or "Yo" in a first interaction. ...

How to Describe Charts in IELTS Writing Task 1 (Vocabulary and Templates)

In IELTS Academic Writing Task 1, you have 20 minutes to describe a chart, graph, or table. Most students struggle not because they don't understand the data, but because they lack the specific vocabulary to describe trends accurately. After 17 years of teaching, I’ve distilled the "must-have" vocabulary and the structure that consistently earns Band 7+.   The 3-Part Structure for Task 1:   1        Introduction (1 sentence): Paraphrase the prompt. If the prompt says "The graph shows the number of people visiting Morocco," your introduction should say "The line graph illustrates the volume of tourists who traveled to Morocco between [Year] and [Year]." 2        Overview (2 sentences): This is the most important part. Identify the two most obvious trends. Do not use numbers here. Example: "Overall, the number of visitors increased significantly over the period, while the amount spent per visitor saw a sl...

The 7 Most Common Grammar Mistakes Arabic Speakers Make in English (and How to Fix Them)

If you speak Arabic and struggle with English, some of your mistakes aren't random — they're predictable. In seventeen years of teaching Arabic-speaking students, I've seen the same seven errors appear again and again, because they come from structural differences between the two languages. The good news: once you know what's coming, you can fix each one deliberately.   1. Dropping the verb "to be." Arabic allows "I happy" and "She at school" because the verb to be is often implied. English never does. Before any adjective or prepositional phrase, check for is/am/are/was/were. Fix: read your sentence aloud — if something feels "floating" without a verb, add it.   2. "I am agree" instead of "I agree." In Arabic, a state ("I am in agreement") is natural. In English, agree, disagree, understand, and know are verbs — no "am" allowed. Fix: memorize this list of state verbs that never ...